Lend your hand to others, share a smile.
Description: Volunteers will work directly with youth from the juvenile education institution and children from local elementary schools who are included in extended program - group work focused on early prevention of behavioural problems. The goal of the institution is to open towards local community and wider, to raise interest in its work and to include other relevant stakeholders which can contribute in creating positive mutual contacts as well as developing new ways of support for children and youth with behavioral and emotional problems giving them a unique experience of connecting with others and learning new knowledge and skills. Organization of international voluntary camps in our institution for 3 years in a row, was recognized as a modern and unique approach that we want to continue with.
Type of Work: Volunteers are expected to prepare, implement and participate in activities which include working with elementary school students and adolescents (7-18 yo). Activities will be based on group work principles.
- Interactive workshops - including interactive games for getting to know each other, learning to work together as a team, learning about other cultures e.g. songs which are typical for specific country volunteers are coming from or making simple traditional dish etc.), activities for improving communication and social skills e.g.making subject-specific posters etc.);
- Creative workshops – music workshops, DIY and recycling, art workshops (drawing etc.);
- Sports activities and outdoor games. Volunteers will work for max.6 hours a day, and will have 1 free day during the camp.
Study Theme: 1. Organization of educational work in the institution – presentation will be held by one of the educators
- Meeting with young people from local youth association 3 .Visiting local hiking trails
- A trip to local festival/ sights of nature/ historical sights
Accommodation: Volunteers will be accommodated in rooms with two beds that are located in pavilions within the facility. Sleeping bags and mat are not necessary since the linen and blankets will be provided. Each pavilion contains 2 toilets and 2 showers and a small kitchen. The volunteers themselves are responsible for cleaning the pavilion and will be provided with cleaning products, mops and brooms. Food for volunteers will be prepared in the facility (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Any additional food volunteers want, they can prepare by themselves in the kitchen, which is located in the pavilion.
Requirements: Motivation letter is required and it should include: experience in working with school kids and young people (especially in social welfare institutions), a plan for the potential workshop that you as a volunteer would like to organize and materials that are needed for that (important! it is a social welfare institution - be modest with your demands).
Approximate Location: Bedekovčina is a small town, located in the north west Croatia, with approximately 3,400 inhabitants. It is located around 50 km from Zagreb, approximately 1 hour away by train.
Notes: Notes: Mandatory - after being accepted on the workcamp, volunteers must provide:
A police check that states you do not have a criminal record.
A letter from your doctor stating that you are fit and well enough to travel and do this type of voluntary work.
Important - since the target population of this youth camp are children and young people with behavioral and emotional problems, volunteers are expected to be highly responsible and respect specifications of the population also being ready to work closely with the educators.