Garden of Tranquility
Description: We are a family of 3, working on alternative education, coaching for self awareness, women empowerment, and conflict resolution for over 15 years. We moved to live in a garden for the last 6 years and started to plant trees and build houses for ourselves, volunteers and visitors we often welcome. We started to teach English at the local school a few times and see the needs for community development. We would like to promote alternative education, self-reliance and working with Thai and foreign volunteers to improve the life of the community and society.
Type of Work: - Volunteers will organize English and Art lessons and games to primary school children (7 to 12 years old) both at the community schools (2-3 days a week) and at the Garden of Tranquility.
- Volunteers will work on an artistic clay building. We finished building 2 clay houses and 1 library. We are now building a big meditation hall and family house, plus another volunteer house, all from clay.
- Volunteers will grow vegetables and plant trees, water them, make compost and collect fruits like bananas and mangoes.
Study Theme: AIMS of the PROJECT • To support local kids and young people to become able to communicate with foreigners and to learn from cultural exchange • To improve the self-awareness of kids and young people and provide a creative space to express themselves. • To create an open space for organic farming, towards a self-reliant an ecological community
Accommodation: - We will take turn to cook 3 meals a day, suitable for vegetarians.
- Volunteers will live in a small clay house.
- Mosquito nets, pillows, blankets and mattresses are provided.
- Good quality shared bathrooms and kitchen.
Requirements: - Volunteers should be interested in education for children, ready to lead a small group of kids on a chosen activity: English teaching, art or other.
- Volunteers should be ready to adapt to the Thai, local way of life, and willing to create relationships with volunteers’ friends, hosts and local people. Some difficult points could be mosquitoes and insects, sitting on the floor...
Approximate Location: The project is situated close to Rachaburi town, about 2-3 hours drive from Bangkok. The area of our community: There are many kinds of trees in the garden such as coconut, banana, lichee, and mango. We have many temples. People offer food to monks every day. The weather is the hottest in March-April, in May, some rain may refresh a bit sometimes.