Description: The specific aims of the camp are:
- Restoration of a degraded land in Canelas, with intervention in a forest, pathways and a fountain (and public presentation of work done to the local community);
- Participants will perform field tasks but also learn about nature conservation and engage in conservation-training activities, while getting to know the Portuguese fauna and flora;
- Litter gathering; cleaning walking trails; controlling invasive vegetation;
- Participants will also contribute to prevent forest fires by controlling shrubs and invasive vegetation;
- Build shelters and a pond for wildlife
Type of Work: - Ecological restoration work (control of invasive species and beneficiation of fauna and flora);
- Vegetation trimming and removal;
- Litter gathering and cleaning of walking trails;
- Improvement of local fauna, flora, and landscape;
- Encouragement of international exchange and exchange of experience;
- Presentation and discussion of the natural and social reality of the regions of origin of the participants;
- Promotion of environmentally and socially responsible attitudes and values;
- Development of action-training actions focused on individual and collective learning.
Accommodation: Participants will sleep in a sports complex in Estarreja, in shared rooms with beds. There will be several separated rooms for boys and for girls. The complex has a sports locker room with hot water showers also separated by gender.
Participants have to bring their own towels and hygiene products. The organization will provide breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Lunches and dinners are prepared/cooked by the municipality’s staff and served in a canteen, but some lunches will be served in the field (sandwiches, fruits, etc.). All canteen meals will be vegetarian.
Requirements: - High sense of citizenship and environmental protection.
- Will to work for nature protection and improvement.
- Will to learn and share nature protection techniques and good practice.
- Language skills (English preferable).
- Always be punctual.
- Always respect others’ opinions.
- Will to interact with local community
Approximate Location: This camp will take place in Baixo Vouga Lagunar, in two areas of the Estarreja municipality, both of high ecological and social value. BioRia is a network of nature trails, a paradise for birdwatching, integrated in a Natura 2000 site. In Canelas, the LUSITANICA project has been running since 2016, aiming to convert a degraded area into a model forest for nature conservation and fire prevention, as well as to rebuild heritage buildings: an abandoned water mill and a historic fountain.