Description: This camp integrates the Municipality of Lousada’s sustainability agenda, which includes many environmental projects, always in cooperation with local communities. This camp will be organized by a team of biologists experienced in both science and animation. Participants will have the opportunity to learn about environmental management and nature conservation, and engage in conservation-training activities in the rivers Sousa and Mezio, which need cleaning and ecological restoration in some parts. Volunteers will also get to see and learn about our flora and fauna, local culture, food, rural landscape, etc
Type of Work: - Ecological training;
- River restoration activities;
- Control of alien invasive species;
- Restoration of riparian forest with litter cleaning, and trees plantation;
- Beneficiation of local fauna, flora, and landscape;
- Creation of a wildlife pond;
- Cleaning of pathways; waste removal;
- Valorization of local cultural heritage (embellishment of two chapels and surrounding area);
- Encouragement of international exchange and exchange of experience;
- Presentation and discussion of the natural and social reality of the regions of origin of the participants;
- Promotion of environmentally and socially responsible attitudes and values;
- Development of action-training actions focused on individual and collective learning.
Accommodation: Participants will sleep in a sports complex in Lousada, in shared rooms with sleeping mattresses. There will be separated rooms for boys and for girls. The complex has locker room with hot water showers also separated by gender.
Participants have to bring their own towels and hygiene products. The organization will provide breakfasts, lunches, break snacks, and dinners. Lunches and dinners are prepared/cooked by the municipality’s staff and served at the sports complex canteen, but some lunches will be served in the field (sandwiches, fruits, etc.). All meals are vegetarian.
Requirements: - High sense of citizenship and environmental protection.
- Will to work for nature protection and improvement.
- Will to learn and share nature protection techniques and good practice.
- Language skills (English preferable, but also Portuguese and Spanish).
- Always be punctual.
- Always respect others’ opinions.
- Will to interact with local community and culture
Approximate Location: Lousada in North of Portugal