- Accommodation and food: 80.00 Euro
- Transportation: 35.00 Euro
- Activities: 50.00 Euro
- Hosting organisation support: 35 Euro
Description: "Village Christmas" is a solidarity project initiated by the ASTOVOT to contribute to the fulfilment of children in rural areas during the festive season. The report is that there is a lack of recreational and cultural activities in some villages for the benefit of small children and adolescents. Thus,this project consists in organizing Christmas festivities over a period of two weeks in a rural community where the majority of parents do not have enough means to offer gifts,sweets and to make their children live during fairy and joyful moments.The aim is to create a fulfilling and entertaining environment in a public place in the village called "Christmas Village" for the children. All the activities planned as part of the project will take place in a space of conviviality and sharing.
Type of Work: Main Activities
- Meeting with the local authorities;
- Visits to families and inviting children to participate in activities;
- Fitting out and installation of the "Christmas Village » ;
- Construction of huts, stands and the Christmas tree;
- Purchase and wrapping of gifts ;
- Shopping for the needs of the convivial meal;
- Organization of play and sports activities on the site of the "Christmas Village » ;
- Projection of films for children and teenagers,
- Dances around the fire on traditional rhythms and dance (night) ;
- Recital and sketch ;
- Distribution of gifts and sweets (December 25) ;
- Sharing a convivial meal with the children and their parents ;
Accommodation: On site of project: Accommodation conditions are generally rudimentary (especially in rural areas). The group is housed together in a house in which the volunteers have to share rooms (usually 2 to 4 rooms). We have small mattresses and plastic mats that will be used as bedding for the volunteers. Because the houses are often not equipped with beds. However, volunteers can provide small inflatable mattresses or small floor mats, sleeping bags, mosquito nets, etc.
Language: French and English are the two languages of the project. However, French is the official language spoken in Togo. It is advisable for English-speaking volunteers wishing to participate in this project to have a minimum level in French, because a large majority of local volunteers and communities have a low level in English.
Approximate Location: Located 15 km from the city of Kpalimé and 135 km northwest of Lomé, the capital of Togo, the village of Agomé-Tomégbé has about 5500 inhabitants. It's a village located in a mountainous area with a magnificent view, appreciated by its green aspect and its waterfalls. The inhabitants of the village are very welcoming and mostly peasants who mainly cultivate cocoa, coffee,maize, manioc and yam. The dominant religion is Protestantism, introduced in the late 19th century by pastors from Brême in Germany. In addition to the Collège d'Enseignement Général (CEG), the village has two primary schools.
Notes: If the volunteer's flight arrives during the night in Lomé; the volunteer is requested to make sure to spend the first night in a hotel in the capital. For the safety of the volunteers, our organization prohibits any night transport to the project site. Our colleague who is in charge of the reception of the volunteers can offer him/her a hotel room which costs a maximum of 15 euros.