The FORMOSA Project
Description: The FORMOSA Project it’s a Workcamp that aims to clean part of the Ria Formosa Natural Park (Ludo) and the sandbars islands (Praia de Faro) of garbage and invasive floral species and raise awareness in the population. Although it’s a protected area, there’s a lot of garbage lying around and a regular clean-up is required to maintain its beauty and natural life
Type of Work: the main tasks and activities in this workcamp are:
- learning about the geographical area and the theory around this intervention;
- catching litter in Ludo forest area and Praia de Faro and bag it for proper removal and recycling;
- removing invasive floral species from the area of Ludo and Praia de Faro (Faro Beach);
- designing an awareness intervention plan for the local community, constructing materials and resources;
- implementing the awareness intervention plan. The last days of the camp we are going to improve the impact of the workcamp by spreading the word on cleaning activities.
Accommodation: Participants will sleep indoor camping on a primary school in Praia de Faro, in a big shared room and there are blankets, but participants have to bring their own sleeping bag (or sheets), towels and hygiene products. There are hot water showers, in Centro Náutico de Faro, next to the primary school. Meals will be prepared by all the volunteers, taking turns, yet always accompanied by a cook. Breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, dinner and a night supper will be provided. There will be at least one dinner in a restaurant (in Faro). There will always be a vegetarian option.
Requirements: Young people who speak at least basic knowledge of English and motivation to work. People that are interested in nature preservation and environmental change as well as raising awareness in communities. Youngsters full of energy and willing to do crafty and handy work and to step out of their comfort zone
Approximate Location: Praia de Faro