German-Kyrgyz Summer School (Berlin)
Description: The Summer School aims to strengthen cooperation and intercultural understanding between Germany and Kyrgyzstan. Its objective is to share knowledge, ideas and experiences on contemporary problems for young people in different countries, and to encourage and equip volunteers to play a greater role in building a better and more peaceful society. During an initial training week in Berlin, the participants will be introduced to the work of the SCI, to neighbourhood and community management, and will have the opportunity to exchange experiences and ideas. After the training, they will participate in various international work camps for another two weeks. Finally, a follow-up seminar will take place in Berlin.
Type of Work: The program of the event will be divided into three parts: Arrival Berlin: 08.08.2020 (participants can arrive earlier, but must arrange their own stay and cover their own costs for food etc. if they do) The program of the event will be divided into three main elements: 1 – Kick-Off Seminar: Deepening & exchanging ideas and knowledge on the main topics 08.08. – 15.08. at KuBIZ in Berlin 2 – Participation in an International Work Camp of your preferred choice (see choices available below) 3 – Evaluation and Follow-up Seminar, 29.08. – 02.09. Berlin (departure on 2nd after breakfast)
Study Theme: • exchange of ideas and methods in promoting community services; • neighborhood and community management; • intercultural learning; • local and international initiatives on strengthening communities, neighborhoods and social groups; • organizing and mobilizing communities for a social change; • role of international voluntary service in promoting peace, mutual learning, social inclusion, and sustainable development.
Accommodation: The group will stay for the training week & for the evaluation in a seminar house with beds and a kitchen to cook. For the workcamps, they will travel to another location in Germany. Please see individual camp descriptions for further information.
Language: Official language at the summer school is English. Participants should be able to communicate fluently in English.
Requirements: Strong interest in intercultural learning, sustainable development, and community management. Motivation Letter is required
Approximate Location: The event will take place at KuBIZ in Berlin
Notes: Please indicate your choice of workcamp in your Motivation Letter:
- DE-SCI-6.91 (Berlin) Sketch it! Peace activism via art 16.-31.08.
- DE-SCI-11.57 (Berlin) Urban Space 15.-29.08.
- DE-SCI-11.15 (Giersleben) Watermill – Let’s talk about Plastic! 16.-28.08.
- DE-SCI-13.64 (Görlitz) Children’s town in Görlitz/Zgorcelec 15.-29.08.
- DE-SCI-12.83 (Arnsdorf) Movie Nights in the Countryside 15.-30.08.
- DE-SCI-11.23 (Fredelsloh) Second Life of Things 15.-29.08.
- DE-SCI-10.82 (Alfter) Live with animals & build their home 15.-30.08.
- DE-SCI-1.34 (Georgsmarienhütte) Contemporary Witnesses on Forced Labour in WWII, Memorial Augustaschacht 15.-29.08. You can find descriptions of each project here